Beck Martial Arts
What can I gain from training at Beck Martial Arts?
- Physical skills: You’ll learn joint locks, kicks, punches, throws, pressure points, falls, etc. But you will also gain better general health, balance, strength, better flexibility, and a more coordinated body.
- Mental skills: You’ll improve your discipline, confidence, respect, self-esteem, courtesy, alertness, focus, even stress management. You will learn to persevere and overcome obstacles.
- Integration skills: You’ll learn to put it all together. The mind affects the body, and the body affects the mind. Your physical actions affect your emotions and thoughts, and vice versa. If you put a smile on your face, you feel happier. You will learn to coordinate your thoughts and actions together, so mind and body are as one.
- Self-defense skills: You’ll learn not just physical skills but will also improve your alertness, reaction time, awareness, focus of mentality, and commitment — all of which have tremendous effects on self-defense capabilities.
- Life skills: All the already mentioned skills translate well to success in other areas of life as well. Plus the life skills of how to set and achieve goals, persevere to overcome setbacks, and meet high expectations come out time and again in all the ‘secrets of success’ books.
For children, it often comes out as better grades and better behavior. For adults, it comes out as the confidence to assert yourself, the sensitivity to surroundings to adapt to changing conditions, and the ability to control emotions and react with rational behavior. These skills bring harmony to your life.
Beck Training Methods
Arnis – Filipino Art of Stickfighting And More
Arnis is a Filipino martial art combining stickfighting, knife fighting, karate, and jujitsu. The basis of the art is variously known as Kali, Escrima, Eskrima, or Arnis. The art is known primarily for weapons training, but also involves empty hand strikes, kicks, joint locks, grappling, throws, empty hand forms, and stick forms. For ages 15-up. Mon/Wed 8 PM, Sat 10 AM.
Hapkido – Korean Art of Coordinated Power
Hapkido is a comprehensive and effective Korean self defense system involving joint locks, pressure points, throws, kicks, and strikes. In Hapkido you learn how to protect yourself in situations ranging from an unwelcome touch to rape or robbery, while developing your self-confidence, self-control, concentration, and stress management. This range of control allows you to protect yourself fully without hurting the opponent more than is necessary for the situation. Size, strength, and gender are unimportant in Hapkido — a woman or child can control a large man with proper technique. For ages 15-up. Mon/Wed 7:00 PM, Sat 9 AM.
Taekwondo – Korean Art of Hand And Foot
Taekwondo is a Korean martial art of kicking, blocking, and striking that has also become a full-fledged Olympic sport. It is the world’s most popular martial art, with over 20 million practitioners in over 140 countries. That popularity is nice but also means that most schools are focused on competition or on socialization of children. There’s nothing wrong with that, but TKD is also an excellent martial art and a fun way to stay fit for adults and teens who can sometimes get lost in the sea of kids at some schools. Taekwondo at Beck Martial Arts is a fun informal setting (uniforms optional) to get you in great shape while developing fundamental kicking, punching, striking, and sparring skills in a safe supportive environment. For ages 13-up. Classes are Mon/Wed 6:00 PM.